The World Intellectual Property Organization’s (WIPO) Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) allows nationals and residents in a PCT contracting state to seek patent protection for an invention simultaneously in the 153 PCT contracting states by filing just one application instead of filing in each country where the protection is being sought.
The procedure under the PCT has the following advantages:
- The PCT system simplifies and renders more effective and economical means of applying in several countries for patent protection for inventions.
- Under the PCT, you have more time to seek overseas patent protection compared to the time you can have during an application procedure outside the PCT. Therefore, you will have enough time to appoint local patent agents or representatives in each country, prepare the necessary translations and pay the national fees.
- By making patent application through the PCT system, you can be assured that your international application which is in the form prescribed by the PCT will not be rejected on formality grounds by any designated Office during the national phase.
- On the basis of the international search report, you can evaluate the patentability chances of your invention.
- You have the opportunity to amend the international application during the international preliminary examination before submission to the national phase entry stage.
- Search and examination work of patent offices can be considerably reduced or virtually eliminated due to the international search report, the written opinion and, where applicable, the international preliminary examination report that accompanies the international application.